Saturday, December 14, 2013

Tell me the truth!

In my circle of friends, I am typically known as the one that doesn't beat around the bush, the straight-forward one, the one that likes to tell things straight to people's faces before talking behind anyone's backs. I'm also the inappropriate one and the corrupted mind in the group but that's another story.

The thing that has been baffling me recently is back-stabbing. No, not literally, geez. What are you thinking? What I mean is when people say things, mostly nasty things, about a certain someone without that certain someone knowing. Yes I have done it before but that was before I knew the perks of actually saying it to their faces, regardless if they're your friend or not. 

I guess the security of talking behind someone's back brings comfort to some and, I guess to an extent, power to others. What I don't understand is how people gain satisfaction from gossiping about another person. Personally, I am oblivious to a lot of things and when I do notice that somebody is obviously talking about me, I ask myself 'Why?' Even when I did talk behind people's backs the way I did, looking back, I never understood why I ever did any of it. 

So when I started actually saying my thoughts on people out loud to the people themselves, I felt like weight has been lifted off my shoulders.I didn't need to keep anything a secret that may or may  not come back and bite me in the future. Despite the mixed responses I received at first, I soon gained respect as well as trust, especially from the people closest to me. Pretty soon it just became habit. Granted that I don't always say what people want to hear, but at least I wasn't lying or bending the truth and to me, that is an achievement since nowadays we are almost always compelled to lie to get out of trouble.

"I didn't do it!"
"I'm just sleeping over at (insert name here)."
"I just cleaned my room."

These are obviously not the things one would say behind someone's back, more so answers that have been predetermined by the questioner but you get the drift. Lying is bad.


Any-who, thanks for reading and take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment