Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Flying Rodents, Ice and Unfortunate Events

The other day, my friend and I went ice skating. We had planned it the night before because we were Facebook chatting both agreed that we had to hang out. So we settled upon ice skating, which was great because neither of us had gone in forever (Cue in For the First Time In Forever song from Disney's Frozen, which by the way, was a great movie. Totally recommending it!). Girl time was also long overdue and the heat has been scaring us into hiding. 

Unfortunately, we had to take the train because nobody could drop us off. It sucks not having a license. But soon, oh so very soon, I shall get mine and I shall conquer the madness they call roads. Mwahahahaha!!! Ahem. 
Anyway...

Once we got to the station, we had a craving for caffeine. Why? I'll tell you why. I had gone to bed late last night for no apparent reason (does being in holiday mode count?) and had planned on waking up after at least eight hours of shuteye. What I did not anticipate in a million years was a stupid pigeon cooing like an owl right outside my window, on the ledge. For the first few coos, I thought "Don't worry, it's gonna stop soon." But it didn't. It went on and on and on and I kept thinking the same thing over and over again. Eventually I gave in and threw a pillow on the blinds, which impacted on the window and thus startling the flying rodent. Thankfully I heard it fly away... But little did I know that it would settle down on another ledge nearby... And start cooing again. Uggh!!! I was pretty sure it wasn't going to stop so that left me no choice but to get up and have breakfast. 

After getting ready, I met with my friend and headed to the train station. It was around an hour and a half or so travel, which was plenty of time for DNM. We took a detour to my friend's grandmother's house for lunch and then headed to the rink after. 

We got on the ice as soon as we put our skates on and I was overwhelmed by my feelings of nostalgia because I had many good memories on the ice. It wasn't crowded which was cool because then you could skate fast not endanger anyone however we couldn't play the games because there wasn't enough people.


  • A game that I used to play with my friends whenever we went ice skating was going under people's arms. You know how there are usually groups that hold hands and make a chain? Yeah. We go under those. Try making your own chain by holding your friends by the waist like a Congo line and try going under the chain linked by hands. The longer your chain is, the funner it is because it's harder to pull everyone else through. 
  • Another one is a little bit more risky but not too much. Essentially, the aim is to hold a random person's hand and just start skating with them. I know that's asking for trouble, or the least an awkward situation, but that's what makes it fun!

As we were skating, I noticed a guy, a very cute guy if I may say so myself, skating incredibly fast and stopping abruptly, shaving ice. I was hooked. I mean I like guys who entertain me or impress me, those guys that can make you say or think "Wow". It's not that hard really, at least for me. Just do something that I can't, make it look cool and I'm hooked. Now that's not saying that I immediately want to jump his bones but it gives them an edge. 

Moving on, the guy kept on doing it over and over again and eventually I got sick of the show off (Sorry but it's true!) and just ignored him. Round and round and round we went until we got tired. Then we took a little break, got ourselves hot chocolates. Yum! Afterwards we were back on the ice and again, round and round and round we went until we got to the curve. My friend and I had slowed down to talk when she suddenly lost balance and fell straight on her bum! It was so funny I lost my balance too but luckily I had the ice rink wall to hold on to and keep me upright. The fall was something out of a comic! I wish I had recorded it but I had left my phone in my bag, not trusting myself to keep it dry on ice.

When the session ended we went to our usual hangout, grabbed drinks and just walked around until we finally had to go home.
All I can say is day well spent. We had fun, we got fed and I witnessed a painful looking fall. 


Unlike my friend, please take care when doing anything.
Just be safe and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment