Friday, January 24, 2014

Inner Insanity: Loathsome Labels

I don't like labels.
I don't like being put in categories based on labels.
I don't like labels defining people and;
I don't like the assumptions being made based on these labels.

I apologise if this gets heated but this is an ongoing issue for everyone, in my opinion. Being called fat or skinny, ugly or beautiful, smart or dumb. Now I know that some of these can be taken as positive but it's mostly positive only to the person being labelled that certain label. I, myself, have been labelled many, many times and I know how annoying it is. But not only that, there is an added pressure to either stay being labelled that way, or strive to be labelled the opposite. Expectations become responsibilities. 

"You have to be this..."
"You can't look like that..."
"Shouldn't you be doing this instead of that?"
"Why are you wearing that?"

These questions arise because of the labels placed upon us based on the criteria of the media, what they think is beautiful and what they think isn't.
I know that I can't change the ways of the media but I hope I can change some of the views that you guys have. I also know that these have been said a trillion times but I want to repeat these one more time to reinforce it in your brains.


1. Be comfortable with yourself. 

Despite the images projected by the media, it's important to know that there many images and views of the word beautiful. Not everyone believes that something is beautiful just because somebody else has said so. Your opinion counts too! In fact it's the most important one when it comes to you. 
With that being said, if you, not anyone else, aren't comfortable with yourself, try and alleviate that in a safe way. For example, if you want to have a new hairstyle, get a haircut. Do it for you, not anybody else. 
It's also important to know that you don't have the same lifestyle as everybody else. 
Models for example workout vigorously most of, if not, the whole week because it's demanded in their job description. Students on the other hand have to go to school and stress about assignments and due dates.
Now this is not saying that these are the set lifestyles for models and students. I know that models also have businesses and families and other responsibilities in their lives, however this is just an example of the difference in lifestyles within society.


2. Don't listen

This is pretty simple. You don't have to be what you don't want to be. Stay true to yourself. It doesn't matter what everyone else is wearing, saying or thinking. What matters, as I've said before, is your opinion and your opinion alone. It's important that you do not, I repeat do not, restrict yourself to the label that is placed upon you, nor should you force yourself to change in order to be labelled differently. Not only will insecurity eat you up, but you will also exert vulnerability, which makes you a target for labelling.  


3. It's your life

Self explanatory. It's your life, not anybody else's therefore you have complete control as to how you want to look, feel and think. Nobody else should be able to dictate the way you live your life, not even your loved ones (#yolo). This pretty much summarises what I've said above. You're your own boss.
(Hilarious Response from 2 Broke Girls Season 1 Episode 22 - Max: My own boss? I can't wait to sleep with myself to get a promotion) 
*Side note: That was random and I thought I'd lighten things up.

On a serious note, just be yourself and don't take in the negative comments from other people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment