Thursday, January 23, 2014

Inner Insanity: Alleviating Anxiety

First of all, Inner Insanity will just be a series of posts that will essentially be about how I am feeling, what's going on in my head and all that jazz.

Anxiety. Something that everyone experiences at one point in their lives, although some worse than others. Since school is going to start soon and students like me are getting nervous since it's the last year of high school and those final exams are coming up faster than a freaking bullet train, I thought that maybe I'd give some tips as to how we can overcome this case of anxiety, or at the very least lessen it.

1. The first thing that has helped me with anxiety is preparation. I find that the more I prepare for something, the less worried and more confident I'll be in the future. Hand-ins, tests, speeches, presentations. Whatever they may be, if you are well prepared for these things, the less worried and panicky you will be on the due date and the less likely it will be for an attack to occur.

2. Being organised is next, which goes hand-in-hand with preparation. Organising is very important because it helps you keep track of what's going on in your life, even if everything seems to be moving too fast. Using things like diaries, planners, calendars, phone alarms and post-it notes are just some of the few things that can help you become more organised. This also applies with knowing where things are so that when the time comes and your pen runs out of ink, you'll know where to go. My school actually provides a planner every year and, I have to admit, during Year 7, I never utilised it to its full potential. Now, each page has at least three lines of things-to-do for each day!

3. This next one is more for people that find it difficult to speak in front of a crowd, large or small, and this has honestly helped me in the past tremendously. This might seem weird but hear me out. It's a short step-by-step process of creating a sense of protection around you, as I call it anyway. 

Step 1: Think of something strong, whether it's a lion, a titan, gladiators, practically anything. It could even be a big strong rock!

Step 2: Multiply them mentally and surround yourself with them, you in the middle.

Step 3: Take a deep breath and relax.

Step 4: Whenever you feel anxious or panicky, imagine them being there with you, at your sides and know that they WILL protect you and that nothing can and will get through them.

4. The last one is kind of a love it or hate it option that may not always be doable. Hugs and Laughs. Whenever you feel an attack coming, just ask for a hug or think of something funny, like a baby with a beard, and have a little laugh. I have done these so many times that it's almost second nature to me. There has actually been scientific research that hugs release chemicals in the body that help with anxiety and stress plus hugs also lets you know that there is someone there for you. And as you all know, laughter is the best medicine.

Hopefully these tips will help you guys alleviate anxiety during stressful times and give you that little bit of confidence to get through the day. And just believe that you WILL get through them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment